Welcome to Iowa!

As a J-1 scholar here for research, teaching, observation, or other professional activities, we’ve compiled a list of resources to make it easier for you to focus on your intellectual pursuits.  From information on maintaining your status to employment options and guidelines for inviting family members with you, you’ll find all you need in our J-1 scholar section. You are welcome here!

scholars photo on old capitol steps


IP hosts events for scholars throughout the year

Note that the University’s J-1 program does not allow participants to undertake medical residencies or other advanced formal medical education. Individuals interested in such activities should contact Graduate Medical Education which has responsibility for foreign medical residents and fellows at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics.

Faculty and research professionals who wish to pursue eligibility for longer term temporary worker immigration status should contact Faculty and Staff Immigration Services which processes applications for temporary H-1B, O-1, and TN immigration statuses as well as permanent residence for faculty and professional employees.


Get answers to frequently asked questions about COVID-19, specifically as it relates to international students and scholars.

Read FAQs