J-1 scholars with program sponsors other than the University of Iowa are considered sponsored scholars. Information about J-1 sponsorship is located in section two of the DS-2019. Sponsored scholars receive funding from sources outside of the University of Iowa, such as a government agency, home university, or institution.

J-1 sponsored scholars are welcome to consult with an ISSS advisor; however, specific questions related to immigration status should be directed to the Responsible Officer (RO) or Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) for their J-1 program. Contact information for the RO or ARO is provided in section seven of the DS-2019.