What to Do in an Emergency Abroad

  • In the case of a life-threatening emergency, travelers should call the 911 equivalent in the host country.
  • In the case of a medical issue, travelers should seek the nearest and best medical care provider available immediately. Travelers may contact their international insurance company for healthcare provider referrals, claims assistance and additional support (see right sidebar for contact details for the Iowa Regents CISI policy that all UI international travelers are covered under).
  • If you are participating in a study abroad program or group travel activity, you may be covered under more than one international insurance policy. If applicable, contact onsite staff or partners first for help.
  • ALL University travelers outside the U.S. and in need of assistance may call the International Programs after hours emergency phone number at +1-319-530-2540.
  • In the event of a political, social, or natural emergency the University will coordinate with our travel medical and security insurance provider to respond to individual and group emergencies.
  • In the event of an emergency, travelers may also want to contact the nearest U.S. consulate or embassy. You can locate them by visiting the U.S. Department of State's Emergencies website. In addition, the U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Consular Affairs in Washington, D.C. aids Americans needing emergency assistance. The Overseas Citizens Services telephone number is 1-888-407-4747 (from the U.S. & Canada) or 1-202-501-4444 (from overseas). You can find information on what the U.S. Department of State can do in the case of an emergency on their website.
  • Please also remember to check in with your personal emergency contact so they know you are safe.

CISI International Health Insurance

Call +1-312-935-1703 (outside US)
Call 1-855-327-1411 (within US)
E-mail: medassist-usa@axa-assistance.us

See CISI insurance policy details