The UI hosts nearly 400 J-1 scholars annually, who come to the university for research, teaching, observation, and other professional activities. Note that the University’s J-1 program does not allow participants to undertake medical residencies or other advanced formal medical education. Individuals interested in such activities should contact Graduate Medical Education, which has responsibility for foreign medical residents and fellows at UIHC.

Faculty and research professionals who wish to pursue eligibility for longer term temporary worker immigration status should contact Faculty and Staff Immigration Services which processes applications for temporary H-1B, O-1 and TN immigration statuses as well as permanent residence for faculty and professional employees.

As a J-1 Exchange Visitor it is important that you maintain your lawful J-1 status. Failure to do so can have serious long-term consequences. Below are steps you can take to ensure that you remain in status while in the U.S.:

  • Check-in with International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) immediately upon your arrival into the United States.  Contact ISSS at 319-335-0335 to schedule an appointment.
  • The determining date of your status is the ending date in section 3 of your DS-2019 form. DO NOT let your ending date on your DS-2019 expire. If your appointment at the University of Iowa is extended, the department must contact ISSS prior to the current expiration date to have the DS-2019 form extended as well.
  • Do not accept unauthorized employment. The only activity you are permitted is the one described in section 4 of the DS-2019 form. You must consult an ISSS advisor before presenting any lectures or participating in any conferences during your stay.
  • Comply with the U.S. Department of State’s health insurance requirements for J-1 visa holders and their dependents. Failure to carry health insurance is considered to be a violation of the Exchange Visitor Program and will result in termination of your program and your J visa status.
  • Keep your passport valid. Passport can be renewed by your embassy located in the United States. 
  • Leave the U.S. within 30 days of the ending date of your exchange visitor program. Complete the Completion of Program and Departure Notification e-form request for ISSS.