The International Student Advisory Board (ISAB) seeks to voice international student concerns and to advocate for international student needs in order to improve the international student experience and create a more inclusive campus environment for international students.
ISAB, established in 2014, is a joint initiative between University of Iowa Student Government, Graduate & Professional Student Government, International Programs, and the Division of Student Life.
To fulfill the mission, ISAB serves the following functions:
Advocacy - ISAB serves to raise concerns from international students collectively and formally, and to educate the campus about issues related to international students.
Sounding Board - ISAB provides recommendation to assist university departments on improving services or programs to better serve international students. ISAB also gathers feedback from international students formally or informally.
Relationship Building - ISAB continues to build relationships with individual students, international student organizations, as well as other organizations on campus to hear their stories, needs, and concerns.
Help Us Advocate for Changes
Let ISAB know of any university-related and/or personal problem(s) through this short survey and get an insightful perspective along with substantial help.
Applying to ISAB
2023-2024 ISAB Commitment
Must be available for two full-day retreats.
Retreat dates: Saturday, August 26, 2023 & Saturday, January 20, 2024
- Must attend 1 joint meeting per semester.
- Graduate board members must attend bi-weekly graduate board meeting (1 hour)
- Undergraduate board members must attend weekly undergraduate board meeting on Thursdays, 5:00 p.m.- 6:00 p.m.
- Members are expected to devote roughly 10 hours per month (for meetings, outreach, projects, email or in-person communication, etc.)
- Maintain communication between board meetings
- If members are interested in implementing new initiatives, additional meeting will be needed
- February 20, 2023: Application opens
- March 24, 2023: Application closes
- April 3 - April 7, 2023: Interviews
- April 22, 2023, 9 - 10:30 a.m.: Transition meeting
Khyathi, Grad Board Chair
Jeff, grad member
Manisha, Grad Communication Director
Yeji, grad member
Sailee, grad member
Raaman, grad member
Ya'u, Liaison to Graduate and Professional Student Government
Ikechukwu, grad member
Sylivia, undergrad member
Jay, undergrad member
Ziyi, grad member
Xinyi, Grad Secretary
Divija, Undergrad Board Chair
Ariadna, Undergrad Secretary
Fay, Undergrad Communication Director
Vivian, undergrad member
Nafisa, undergrad member
Fascha, undergrad member
Mengqi, undergrad member
ISAB in the News
What ISAB has done
- ISAB 2022 - 2023
- ISAB Reunion (2021 January)
- ISAB 2021-2022
- ISAB 2020 - 2021
- ISAB 2019 - 2020
- ISAB 2018 - 2019
- ISAB 2017 - 2018
- Presentations/awareness about housing rights
- Video response to racism towards international students (2016)
- ISAB Bylaws (updated Spring 2023)
Connect with ISAB