In recognition of the increasing importance of globalization in higher education research, the Global Research Partnership Award (GRPA) is intended to help initiate new or expand existing international partnerships and/or to build an institutional relationship to facilitate future joint research projects. See the UI’s Vision and Strategic Themes for Internationalization. Funding for these awards is provided by the Stanley UI Foundation Support Organization.
All full-time University of Iowa faculty are eligible to apply. This includes instructional track faculty. Consideration will be given to those projects that seek to develop a sustainable research relationship by laying the groundwork for external funding. Funding may be used to develop shared or collaborative degree programs, fund student rotations/lab internships, gather data, and other activities that provide a platform for cultivating a long-term research relationship.
Terms of Award
- Two Global Research Partnership Awards are available, for up to $10,000 each.
- The award does not allow funding of faculty and graduate assistant salaries.
- Funding must be spent or encumbered by the end of December of the calendar year following the application year.
Evaluation Criteria and Selection Process
Proposals for the GRPA are reviewed considering the following criteria:
- Compelling explanation of the purpose, significance, and impact of the project
- Convincing account of process through which the activities will be undertaken, including any existing ties that may facilitate the project and obstacles that must be overcome for its success
- Anticipated outcomes
- Potential to align research with external grant opportunities, such as NIH, Fogarty, NSF, NEH, private foundations
- List of departments, programs, or clusters on campus that will participate or benefit
- Description of opportunities for student participation (if appropriate)
- Collegiate and/or departmental matching funds (not required)
- Consideration will be given to projects that build on and significantly expand strong, existing relationships, or build new relationships that involve multiple campus constituencies. See our database of existing partnership agreements.
Proposals will be reviewed by a committee appointed and chaired by the Associate Provost & Dean of International Programs.
- Travel costs (airfare, lodging, visa costs, and transportation in country for faculty member and/or students to country of collaboration)
- Travel for a collaborator or potential collaborator to come to Iowa
- Costs of supporting pilot projects in host country (e.g., translators, data collection)
- Salary support for UI faculty members and/or graduate assistants is not an eligible expense
Complete the online application form. You will need to have the following to complete the form:
- an application form
- curriculum vitae for the primary faculty applicant (2-page maximum)
- a proposal addressing the criteria above (up to 5 pages in length)
- a brief budget outline, including funds pending or committed (sources and amounts)
For questions regarding GRPA, please contact:
"The award has allowed for College of Pharmacy faculty here at Iowa to offer trainees in the college an opportunity to spend time training in a laboratory at the University of Milan, to learn skills and techniques that could not otherwise be learned here at Iowa."