Travel Registration

Students traveling abroad under the auspices of the University of Iowa are subject to the University of Iowa's International Travel Policy for Students. This policy applies to all students (undergraduate, graduate and professional degree students) traveling outside of the U.S. in a student capacity for University of Iowa related purposes – which may include, but are not limited to: study, research, internships, service, conferences, presentations, teaching, performances, rotations, practica, athletic competitions, and/or other non-credit bearing activities. If any portion of the travel is funded by a UI entity, the travel is automatically subject to the University of Iowa's International Travel Policy for Students.

The University of Iowa requires students to register their University of Iowa related travel with, and provide a copy of their passport to, International Programs, as well as enroll in the Iowa Regents Universities International Health Insurance Plan. Upon submission of the Travel Registration Form (found below) to International Programs, participants will be automatically enrolled in the Regents-mandated International Health Insurance Plan and billed for it on their U-bill.  There is a 7-day minimum coverage period.  Current cost can be found on the Health Insurance Information page.

Depending on the travel destination(s), students might also be required to fill out a Travel Warning Waiver. If you are a student intending to travel to a location currently under a U.S. Department of State Travel Warning or Alert, contact International Programs to discuss possible approval of your plans before registering your travel: Depending on the circumstances within a given country, some travel will not be approved, or may be restricted.

Please see instructions for Individual Registration or Group Registration below:

For Individual Travel Registration:

REQUIRED steps for registering your travel, which must be done at least 30 days prior to your departure:

  1. Complete the Student Travel Registration Form.
  2. Verify that your travel destination(s) is currently NOT under any U.S. Department of State Travel Warnings and/or Watches.
    • To do this, visit the U.S. Department of State's Website and enter your destination(s) in the "Refine by Country" search bar. 
    • If there are any warnings and/or watches, see below, if not, move on to Step 3. 
    • If there is a current US DOS Travel Warning or Alert, please contact International Programs at to discuss your proposed travel plans and the risks involved. If you still wish to pursue your travel plans despite the risks indicated in the warning or alert, the International Programs Travel Advisory Committee (IPTAC) will need to review your proposed plans. This committee assesses current risks for a location, the traveler’s plans to mitigate known risks and the traveler’s preparedness to follow safety recommendations. Student travel to a location under a current US DOS Travel Warning is seldom approved. Students approved for travel to a US DOS Travel Warning location must sign a waiver prior to departure acknowledging the risks presented by travel to the destination.
      • UI Study Abroad scholarship funding for travel warning destinations will not be released without approval from IP. If approval for travel is not granted by the IPTAC prior to departure for a destination under a US DOS Travel Warning, any UI funding received for international travel will be revoked and UI travel registry and insurance will not be processed for that destination. It is possible to work with the funding organization to readjust travel plans to utilize the funds in a non-Travel Warning destination.
  3. Review the Health Insurance Information and familiarize yourself with it.
  4. Submit the following items to Study Abroad (1111 UCC, Attn: Health and Safety Officer). 
    • Completed Student Travel Registration Form
    • A clear copy of the information/picture page of your passport

RECOMMENDED items you can do prior to your travel:

  1. Register your travel plans with the U.S. Department of State through their "Smart Traveler Enrollment Program" (STEP).
    • This is only for US citizens and can be extremely useful if a situation arises requiring US State Department assistance, such as having your passport lost, or stolen while abroad. 
    • If you are NOT a US citizen, you may contact your home country embassy for information about any similar programs that might be available to you from your country of citizenship.
  2. Conduct a Medical Self-Assessment.  Do NOT turn this in to Study Abroad, but rather use it as a tool to determine whether there are any (potential) health issues you should be prepared to deal with while abroad. 

For research involving Human subjects, please refer to the following information:

  • Review International Programs' website on IRB Review Steps for further information regarding such research overseas.
  • Visit the University of Iowa's Human Subjects Office's website for the Institutional Review Boards (IRBs).

For Group Travel Registration (activities organized by a UI Department or Unit)

REQUIRED steps for registering group travel, which must be done at least 30 days prior to the group's departure:

  1. Complete the Group Travel Registration Form
  2. Submit the Group Travel Registration Form digitally to
  3. Signed copies of the Conditions of Participation for each student participating should be scanned and sent to or via campus mail/in-person to Study Abroad, 1111 UCC.
  4. Clear copies of the information/picture page of the passport for all student participants should be sent via campus mail or in-person to Study Abroad, 1111 UCC.

RECOMMENDED items for group travel:

  1. Review the Health Insurance Information with the group.  All participants will receive digital insurance ID cards around 20 days prior to departure. If students are missing their card, please contact
  2. Recommend student participants conduct a Medical Self-Assessment and meet with their healthcare provider to discuss their health in relation to the proposed international travel.

Contact Information

If you have any questions regarding this process, please contact Study Abroad at 1111 UCC or 319-335-0353 (ask for the Health and Safety Officer) or