The Diversity Ambassador Scholarship program provides awards to study abroad for a semester or academic year program. The scholarships are intended to support the diversification of students who study abroad. Upon completion of the study abroad program and return to UI, award recipients are asked to submit a photo and an open letter to prospective students or suggest an alternate means of sharing with prospective students. Open letters are especially helpful as they reach the broadest audience. All Diversity Ambassadors will be invited to share their experiences abroad with prospective students from underrepresented groups on campus through outreach events.
Up to ten (10), $1,000 Diversity Ambassador Scholarships for Travel Programs will be awarded for the Spring and Fall semesters/Academic Year; up to ten (10), $1,000 Diversity Ambassador Scholarships for Travel Programs will be awarded for Summer and Winter sessions.
Note: $500 Diversity Ambassador Scholarships for Virtual Study Programs may also be awarded.
- undergraduate, full-time, degree-seeking UI student in good academic and disciplinary standing
- plan to participate in an approved study abroad program during the semester/session of application
Additional Eligibility Considerations
Students from groups that have traditionally been under-represented in study abroad are encouraged to apply. Eligibility includes but is not limited to:
- Students from racial and ethnic backgrounds that are under-represented on the UI campus
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBTQ+) students
- Students with disabilities
- Students who are the first in their family to attend college or university ("first generation" college students)
- Students with a history of overcoming adversity based on group identification or affiliation
Applicants may apply for need and/or other financial awards concurrently; review other award categories on our web page to determine your eligibility for other opportunities.
Diversity Ambassador Scholarship recipients are not eligible to receive the scholarship in subsequent sessions to allow the greatest number of students to receive this award.
To apply for a Diversity Ambassador Scholarship, download, complete, and return it (via email) for review by the Study Abroad scholarship committee.
Winter 2022: Friday, October 14, 2022
Spring 2023: Friday, October 14, 2022
For more information about UI efforts to create a welcoming climate for students from communities underrepresented in higher education, visit the Diversity at Iowa website.