The University of Iowa

Fulbright U.S. Student Program


About Fulbright

Eligibility: U.S. Citizens (no permanent residents); undergraduate juniors and seniors, graduate students, and alumni

The Fulbright U.S. Student Program is designed to give recent bachelor’s graduates, master’s and doctoral candidates, young professionals, and artists opportunities for personal development and international experience. Projects may include English teaching assistantships, independent research, creative/artistic projects, university coursework or degree programs, training in a music conservatory or art school.


The 2021-22 Fulbright Competition is now closed!  Please visit the Fulbright U.S. Student website:

UI Campus Deadline:  September 1, 2021 

Potential Fulbright Applicants

All undergraduate, graduate students and alumni interested in applying:

  1. Make an appointment with UI Fulbright Program Advisor Karen Wachsmuth.  Please visit our application process page to fill out a Preliminary Application Form required to make an appointment.
  2. After meeting with Dr. Wachsmuth, you will be given access to the UI Fulbright ICON site, which is a comprehensive library of essential Fulbright resources for UI applicants only.

Important materials to get started

Past Fulbright Winners

View a list of Fulbright awardees and read their stories. 

Upcoming Events

Monday, March 1, 2021, 1:00pm to 2:00pm

Fulbright Workshop for Graduate Students in the Humanities

Please join us on Monday, March 1, 2021 from 1-2pm CT for an information session on the Fulbright U.S. Student Program geared toward master’s and doctoral students (applicants must be U.S. citizens). The workshop topics will include:...
Fulbright Workshop for Graduate Students in the Humanities

Other Resources

Presentation with General Information on Fulbright

Start with this basic Fulbright presentation. 

Contacting the UI Fulbright Program Advisor

For more information about applying for a Fulbright, please make an appointment with Dr. Karen Wachsmuth by completing and returning the Preliminary Application Form to After meeting with Karen, Fulbright applications will be invited to join the Fulbright ICON site to access further application and writing resources.

UI Fulbright Faculty Mentors

UI Fulbright faculty mentors are available to help undergraduate and graduate students with their Fulbright applications.  They are available to assist applicants with preliminary ideas, connect them with contacts both here and abroad, and read drafts of essays.  Download this faculty mentors document for more information.

Fulbright Video Tutorials

See these Fulbright video tutorials for more information.

Types of Grants

There are two main types of grants. Applicants must choose one program and one host country during the Fulbright competition cycle. Applicants must apply through UI International Programs.

English Teaching Assistantship (ETA) Program

The Fulbright ETA program places grantees in schools overseas to supplement local English language instruction and to provide a native speaker presence in the classrooms. Fulbright assigns grantees to a specific city/region and age-level. ETA grantees also conduct community engagement projects or activities in addition to classroom work.

Eligibility: U.S. Citizen (no permanent residents); Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) at beginning of funding period.

Duration: Varies by country; Ca. 8-10 months.


Grace Coleman
Study/Research Grants (includes Arts Grants)

Applicants for Fulbright Study/Research grants either:

  1. propose individual research projects and work with advisers at foreign universities or research institutions,
  2. apply for graduate degree programs in the host country, or
  3. propose creative/artistic projects and/or graduate research/coursework in the host country.

Eligibility: U.S. Citizen (no permanent residents); Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) at beginning of funding period.

Duration: Varies by country; around 10 months.

Specifics for Creative and Performing Arts Grants

Required Supplementary Materials for Arts Applicants

(Please see the above link for the list of creative fields available)

Applications in the Creative and Performing Arts require the submission of supplementary materials (work samples) in support of the written application. Portfolios must be uploaded into the application by the campus deadline.

Applicants to Germany are required to submit additional materials. The specifications can be found on the Additional Materials For Music And Arts For Germany page.

Fulbright News