In the News:
Iowa universities see more graduates, high achievers (The Gazette)
Record 14 UI students, alumni receive Fulbright awards for 2016-17 (IowaNow)
Coming into the 'real' Greek culture (The Daily Iowan)
'Rock star' follows Buddhism to Japan (The Daily Iowan)
Heading a long way from Dubuque (The Daily Iowan)
Fast track to future for UI grad (The Daily Iowan)
Fulbright Final Application Writing and Info Session
Tuesday, August 30
3:30 - 5:30 p.m.
1124 UCC (across from the International Programs office)
International Scholarships, Grants, and Fellowships Open House
Thursday, September 29, 3:30-6:00 p.m.
1117 University Capitol Centre
Fulbright Application Process: Checklist/Timeline
If you are applying for a Study/Research/Arts grant, you'll need to start working right away on acquiring a Letter of Affiliation. Here are some sample letters:
Campus Deadline: Wednesday, September 7, 2016, 12 noon (all enrolled applicants must submit in order to be considered)
For information about next year's competition, please make an appointment with Karen Wachsmuth by filling out the Preliminary Application Form. After meeting with Karen Wachsmuth, students may contact UI Faculty Fulbright Mentors to assist with their application process. For general information, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Student Program website and refer to the campus information on this site.
The Fulbright U.S. Student Program is designed to give masters and doctoral candidates, recent baccalaureate recipients, and young professionals and artists opportunities for personal development and international experience. Projects may include independent library or field research, university coursework, training in a music conservatory or art school, special projects in the social or life sciences, teaching assistantships (for English-language courses, in selected countries), or a combination of these.
Along with opportunities for intellectual, professional, and artistic growth, the Fulbright Program offers invaluable opportunities to meet and work with people of the host country, sharing daily life as well as professional and creative insights. The program promotes cross-cultural interaction and mutual understanding through engagement in the community and on a person-to-person basis.
Don't miss this wonderful opportunity to learn to appreciate others' viewpoints, beliefs, and philosophies by working, living, teaching, and learning with them. Apply now for a U.S. Student Fulbright Fellowship. Funding can be obtained for study, research, or teaching assistantships in most foreign countries.
This program is for U.S. citizens only; permanent residents are not eligible. For specific information about this year's 2015-16 competition, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Student Program website. Please consult the webpage below for information regarding UI campus advising and general information including sample essays and FAQs.
Currently-enrolled UI students and alumni interested in applying through the UI should contact Fulbright Program Advisor Karen Wachsmuth in International Programs as early as possible for assistance with the application process and editorial assistance. The Fulbright competition is formally announced in March, and advising assistance is available throughout the summer.
- UI Fulbright Sample Essays: View winning Fulbright personal statements and statements of grant purpose from UI students at the International Programs Proposal Library. (Hawk ID is required to view essays). Samples of successful UI Fulbright proposals are also available in hard copies at Academic Programs and Services, International Programs, 1111 UCC.
- Fulbright 101: Do you have basic application questions? Check out our Fulbright 101 PowerPoint located at the International Programs Proposal Library. (Hawk ID is required to view PowerPoint).
- Fulbright Website: Review the Fulbright website very thoroughly for program and country details, application instructions and materials, and frequently asked questions.
- Fulbright E-Application: https://apply.embark.com/student/fulbright/usa/25/; create a profile and log in to begin the online application
- To be shared with your referees:
- General Information: Stanford University
- Personal Statements: Ohio Wesleyan University and Penn State
- Statement of Grant Purpose: Penn State
- Letters of Affiliation: Carnegie Mellon University
All students, including undergraduate, graduate, professional students and university alumni, apply through Fulbright Program Advisor Karen Wachsmuth in International Programs. Please contact her for an initial appointment as early as possible: