Through the generous support of the Stanley-UI Foundation Support Organization, International Programs' Major Projects Award promotes important contributions to scholarly debates and exchanges on international topics, issues, discoveries, and arts. Proposals for events that will take place on The University of Iowa campus and that will enhance international knowledge and understanding for University of Iowa faculty, staff, and students are therefore especially welcome.
While the International Programs Summer Research Fellowships are intended to support research and creative activities of individual faculty members, the Major Projects Award encourages activities or endeavors on a broader scale. These may take the form of collaborations, symposia, conferences, lecture series, artistic exhibitions, and performance events.
November 20 of the academic year prior to the one in which funding programming would take place
All University of Iowa tenured and tenure-track faculty members are invited to apply.
Terms of Award
- Funding is for a one-year period beginning July 1 of the year following the application deadline. A single project will be funded, up to $12,500. The award does not allow funding of faculty and graduate assistant salaries.
Evaluation Criteria and Selection Process
Proposals for International Programs Major Projects Awards are reviewed considering the following criteria:
- clear emphasis on international topics, contexts, issues, questions, or aesthetics
- compelling explanation of the purpose, significance, and impact of the project
- convincing account of objectives, methods, procedures, and anticipated outcomes
- list of departments, programs, or groups on campus likely to participate or benefit
- description of possibilities for student participation (if appropriate)
Applicants should indicate additional sources of funding for which they intend to apply, from within the University or from external funding agencies. The committee to review Major Projects Award proposals is appointed and chaired by the Associate Provost & Dean of International Programs.
See the current and full list of past Major Projects Award recipients.
- Travel costs (airfare, lodging, visa costs, and transportation in country for faculty member and/or students to country of collaboration)
- Travel for a collaborator or potential collaborator to come to Iowa
- Costs of supporting pilot projects in host country (e.g., translators, data collection)
- Salary support for UI faculty members and/or graduate assistants is not an eligible expense
Complete the online application form. You will need to have the following to complete the form:
- an application form
- a proposal addressing the criteria above (3 pages, single-spaced)
- a brief budget outline, including funds pending or committed (sources and amounts)
- curriculum vitae for all applicants (2 pages maximum each)
For questions regarding Major Projects Awards, please contact: