International students who are currently enrolled at the University of Iowa are encouraged to consider participating in an approved study abroad program. This International Student Scholarship will be awarded via a competitive, merit-based application process. Eligible students must participate in an approved Study Abroad at an institution outside the United States (but not in their home country) for a semester (granting at least 12 s.h.), or academic year (granting at least 24 s.h.) program.
One (1), $1,000 International Student Scholarship will be available for each semester.
- be an undergraduate International Student (not holding a U.S. passport or U.S. permanent residence Green card)
- be in good academic standing
- have a minimum 3.33 UI cumulative GPA as reported on unofficial UI grade report
- have completed at least 12 semester hours by the application deadline
- propose to study abroad for at least one semester or academic year (not in their home country)
Students must be participating in a formal, academic-credit granting Study Abroad program sponsored by the University of Iowa, another U.S. university, exchange organization, or may enroll directly in a foreign university.
Selection procedure and criteria
Applications are reviewed by the Study Abroad Scholarship Committee. The following criteria are used in awarding the scholarship:
- academic and personal objectives which are clearly defined and realistic
- academic achievement and preparation
- quality and completeness of the project proposal
- contribution of the study abroad experience to the student’s overall academic program
- evidence of maturity, motivation, and adaptability to a different cultural environment
- demonstrated interest in learning about foreign cultures
Students who meet the eligibility requirements listed above are encouraged to apply for the International Student Study Abroad scholarship by completing and submitting the application below. The application packet includes the application page, two essays (Statement of Proposed Study and Personal Statement - each 750 words or less), an unofficial grade report (from MyUI Student Portal), and two letters of reference (UI faculty/Teaching Assistants).
Submit the complete application packet to the Study Abroad office (1111 University Capitol Centre) by the application deadline. Incomplete application packets will NOT be accepted.
Spring 2019 - Thursday, October 25, 2018*
Fall 2019/Academic Year 2019-20 - TBD