The Joel D. and Sandra Barkan Scholarship will provide competitive, merit-based scholarships for students who study abroad in various non-Western European geographical areas (also excluding Australia and New Zealand). Eligible undergraduate, full-time, degree-seeking students may be pursuing study abroad in countries including sub-Saharan Africa, Asia (including Central Asia), Latin America, and the Middle East (including North Africa). Scholarship recipients should plan to study for, at least, one semester of an academic year.
Up to two (2) scholarships of $1,000 each will be awarded each year (typically one (1) $1,000 scholarship each semester); the total annual amount available is $2,000.)
- be an undergraduate, full-time, degree-seeking UI student in good academic standing
- have minimum 3.33 UI cumulative GPA as reported on unofficial UI grade report
- have completed at least 12 semester hours by the application deadline
- plan to study in one of the countries identified above (sub-Saharan Africa, Asia-including Central Asia, Latin America, Middle East-including North Africa) for at least one semester of an academic year
Selection procedure and criteria
- academic and personal objectives which are clearly defined and realistic
- academic achievement and preparation
- quality and completeness of the essay submissions
- factors leading you to select the country for study
- contribution of the study abroad experience to the student's overall academic program
- evidence of maturity, motivation, and adaptability to a different cultural environment
Students may enroll in a formal academic study abroad program sponsored by the University of Iowa or by another accredited US university or exchange organization or may enroll directly in a foreign university. Students who meet the requirements listed above are encouraged to apply for this scholarship. The application packet includes the application form, two essays (Statement of Proposed Study and Personal Statement (each 750 words or less), UI Award Letter and an unofficial grade report (both available from MyUI Student Portal), and two letters of reference (UI faculty/Teaching Assistants).
Submit the complete application packet to the Study Abroad office (1111 University Capitol Centre) by the application deadline. Incomplete application packets will NOT be accepted.
Fall 2018/Academic Year 2018-19 - Thursday, March 29, 2018*
Spring 2019 - TBD