The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) offers a variety of funding opportunities for undergraduate, graduate, and professional scholars to study and research throughout Germany.
Read about a DAAD winner from the University of Iowa!
US and Canadian Citizens. Select International Students see below. Undergraduate and Graduate levels.
Non-US/Canadian citizens: Please visit DAAD’s Scholarship Database and select country of origin to browse eligible grants and scholarships.
November 4, 2021
DAAD Study Scholarships are awarded to highly qualified graduating seniors and graduate students of all disciplines for a full master's degree program at a German university, or for study at a German university as part of a postgraduate or Master's degree program completed in the home country. Students in the fine arts: you will apply through a separate program outside the International Programs priority system.
Duration: Up to 24 months.
Eligibility for Study Scholarships
- U.S., Canadian citizens or permanent residents.
- Undergraduate seniors and graduate students
- Bachelor’s/Master’s Alumni who completed their degree no longer than 6 years ago.
- Foreign nationals who live in the USA or in Canada by the time of application deadline if most recent degree was obtained in the US/Canada, or you will receive a degree in the US/Canada before scholarship starts.
- US/Canadian alumni in the first year of a Master’s degree program in Germany may apply to fund a second year.
- Applicants residing in Germany over 15 months at the application deadline are ineligible
Research Grants for Current Graduate Students and Post-Docs
Research Grants are awarded primarily to highly qualified PhD candidates early in their academic/professional careers or individuals wishing to earn a doctoral degree in Germany. Funding may also be granted to recent PhDs who would like to conduct further research.
Duration: 7-10 Months
Eligibility for Research Grants
- US/Canadian citizens or permanent residents
- Foreign nationals who live in the USA or in Canada and by the time of application deadline have gained their last degree in the US/Canada, or will have received a degree in US/Canada before the beginning of the funding period.
- If foreign nationals' last degree was from their home country, they need to apply for a long-term research grant in their home county or for a short-term research grant.
- Applicants should not have graduated any longer than six years before the application deadline. Doctoral candidates should not have started their doctoral degree any longer than three years previously.
- Applicants residing in Germany over 15 months at the application deadline are ineligible.
Interested students should make an appointment with Dr. Karen Wachsmuth by early September. To make an appointment with Dr. Wachsmuth please complete and return the Preliminary Application Form to firstname.lastname@example.org
Other DAAD Grant Programs
(Open to all levels with varying deadlines)
Students are encouraged to explore DAAD’s many other grants and scholarships including study scholarships in the performing arts, fine arts, STEM, and short-term research grants open to all levels. These grants are not supported through International Programs.
To learn more about the many other scholarship opportunities that best suit your interests, start by browsing the Scholarship Database on the DAAD website. Be sure to indicate your country of origin to see the programs you are eligible for.
STEM undergraduates and graduates are encouraged to explore the following DAAD opportunity. RISE internships are not supported through International Programs.
RISE / RISE Professional (Research Internships in Science and Engineering)
RISE internships for undergraduates majoring in science and engineering to work with German doctoral students at German universities and research institutes. RISE Professional is for master’s and doctorate students in science and engineering for research internships with German companies or research institutions. RISE alumni can apply to RISE professional.
Eligibility: US/Canadian Citizen. Must be returning to home university at full-time status after internship. Knowledge of German not required.
Deadline: Opens November 1st - December 15th