The University of Iowa

UI Departments

This section of our website is designed to provide information to staff, faculty, and university offices serving international students and scholars.

The links in the menu below include resources and information regarding international students and academic advising, international student employment rules, and policies for inviting international scholars to campus. If you have questions related to these topics, please contact International Student and Scholar Services.

International Programs also provides cultural training resources for domestic students, faculty, and staff in UI departments, and for members of the greater community.

Student/Scholar Distinctions

F-1 Student

The F-1 nonimmigrant category was created by 101(a)(15)(F) of the Immigration and Nationality Act.  An F-1 student is a nonimmigrant who is pursuing a full course of study to achieve a specific education or professional objective at an academic institution in the United States [U.S.].  International students in F-1 status make up the majority of international students in most academic and language programs at the University of Iowa and in the U.S.

J-1 Student

The J Exchange Visitor category was developed to "increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries by means of education and cultural exchanges." Students in J-1 are often part of an exchange agreement, or may be participating in a program funded by the U.S. government, foreign government, or international organization.

J-1 Scholar

The UI hosts nearly 400 J-1 scholars annually, who come to the university for research, teaching, observation, and other professional activities. Note that the University’s J-1 program does not allow participants to undertake medical residencies or other advanced formal medical education. Individuals interested in such activities should contact Graduate Medical Education, which has responsibility for foreign medical residents and fellows at UIHC.

Faculty and research professionals who wish to pursue eligibility for longer term temporary worker immigration status should contact Faculty and Staff Immigration Services which processes applications for temporary H-1B, O-1 and TN immigration statuses as well as permanent residence for faculty and professional employees.

Other Resources

ISSS Listserv

Subscribe to the ISSS listserv for departments at

This listserv is ideal for those who interact with international students and scholars in F-1 or J-1 status at the University of Iowa.  Reminders of immigration-related regulations and deadlines will be sent throughout the year to enable  academic advisors, faculty, HR staff, and others to help keep track of the legal needs and deadlines of their international students and scholars.

Assessments and Surveys

View the results from various assessments and surveys conducted by ISSS and other entities regarding our international students.

ISSS Advising Walk-In Hours

Students will see the advisor on duty on a first-come, first-served basis. We ask that faculty and staff not direct students to come speak to specific ISSS staff members.  The advisors on duty will assess the situation and provide assistance or involve other staff if necessary.

Current walk-in hours may be viewed on the main ISSS page.