Unfortunately there is no central financial aid fund at the University of Iowa to fully support international students.  Nor are international students in F-1 or J-1 status eligible for federal financial aid or loan programs.  Most international students cannot take out a private loan from their bank without a U.S. citizen co-signing the loan application.

Students who need assistance on an “emergency” basis may have the following options available:

“Hallway Loan” Program – Available directly from the Office of Student Financial Aid in Calvin Hall.  Up to $500 may be credited directly into a student’s UBill by the University, with payment due by the end of the semester.  No interest is charged.  Interested students may go directly to Financial Aid to apply for the Hallway Loan.

Short Term Loan Program – International students may request a “loan” from the Office of Student Financial Aid of up to $1500, which must first be cleared with an ISSS advisor.  Students must demonstrate financial need as well as a means of repaying the loan.  A 4% rate of interest is charged.  For more information or to apply, please see an ISSS advisor.