Graduate Fellowship and Graduate Conference Travel Award
The Center for Asian and Pacific Studies (CAPS) is pleased to announce a competition for research awards for UI graduate students engaged in research on the cultures and institutions of East Asia, Southeast Asia, and the Pacific region.
Application Deadline: November 1
- The CAPS Graduate Fellowship provides an opportunity for Ph.D. students who have passed their prelims or comprehensive exams to benefit from a stipend up to $1,500 to enable them to cover research-related expenses or to have supported time to pursue their scholarly research activities to facilitate completion of the doctoral degree in a timely manner. Successful candidates will be invited to deliver a presentation at a CAPS research seminar.
- The Graduate Conference Travel Award is for graduate students of either master or doctoral level who needs financial support to attend a conference with a presentation on studies of East Asia, Southeast Asia or Pacific region. The award is normally up to $500 for each conference travel.
- An applicant is limited to one CAPS award per academic year and preference may be given to applicants who have not previously received this award.
- Funds will be available immediately upon notification of the award and should be used before June 30, the following year unless prior approval is obtained.
- Applicants are encouraged to supplement CAPS awards with other sources.
Applicants should submit the following:
- A proposal of approximately 750 words clearly explaining the (a) how the student will benefit from the fellowship with respect to the completion of their doctoral dissertation for those applying for the Graduate Fellowship or (b) intellectual rationale and feasibility of the project for those submitting an application for the Graduate Conference Award;
- Current curriculum vitae;
- One page budget, including other sources of funding, if applicable;
- A letter of endorsement from dissertation advisor.
- Send applications and supporting materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org
CAPS Award Committee
Center for Asian and Pacific Studies
1111 University Capitol Centre
The University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA 52242
Direct inquiries are directed to Dongwang Liu at 335-1305 or email@example.com
Study Abroad in East Asia, Southeast Asia and Pacific Region Scholarship for Spring, Summer, and Fall
Please complete the online application. Be sure to have the following application items prepared ahead of time as you cannot save the application and return to it later:
- List of expenses of your study abroad program
- List of scholarships or financial aid you have already secured for your study abroad program
- Total amount of funding needed for your study abroad program
- A personal statement that indicates your purpose and goal of your study abroad plan and how the scholarship will benefit your program of study (400-500 words)
Application Deadline: October 15 for Spring activities and March 15 for Summer and Fall activities respectively.