Funded in part by the Stanley-UI Foundation Support Organization, International Programs’ Special Projects Awards support internationalization at the University of Iowa by providing funding for small-scale international activities on campus. Past funded Special Projects have included visiting lecturers, speakers, film series, exhibitions, and other public activities that support international engagement on campus.
Special Project proposals are considered on a rolling basis throughout the academic year.
Individual staff and faculty, programs and departments formally associated with the University of Iowa are eligible to apply. Student and student organizations are not eligible for this award.
Terms of Award
- Awards, typically at a maximum of $500, must be used for expenses directly related to the funded project.
- The award does not allow funding of faculty and graduate assistant salaries.
- International Programs must be listed as a co-sponsor on all publicity materials.
Evaluation Criteria and Selection Process
Proposals for International Programs Special Projects Awards are reviewed considering the following criteria:
- Impact of event on campus internationalization.
- Demonstrated support for event through additional sponsorship/funding sources.
- Relevance to UI students and faculty, particularly those outside the applicant’s home department.
Proposals for the International Programs Special Projects Awards are reviewed by the Business Manager.
- Travel costs (airfare, lodging, visa costs, and transportation in country for faculty member and/or students to country of collaboration)
- Travel for a collaborator or potential collaborator to come to Iowa
- Costs of supporting pilot projects in host country (e.g., translators, data collection)
- Salary support for UI faculty members and/or graduate assistants is not an eligible expense
Submit the online application.
For questions regarding the International Programs Special Projects Award, please contact: