As a student traveling internationally under the auspices of the University of Iowa (UI), I acknowledge and agree to the following:
I. Travel Risk
Traveling and living abroad as a UI student involves some personal risk beyond that presented in the United States. While UI does take steps to prepare you for your overseas educational experience, it is incumbent upon you to research your destination, to understand as much as possible about risks involved and how you may mitigate them. Key resources you are expected to consult prior to departure include the U.S. Department of State (U.S. DOS) country profile pages, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Travelers’ Health pages, and any additional health, safety and security information International Programs (IP) provides for your preparation.
- I confirm I have researched my destination and understand, to the best of my ability, the types of risks associated with travel there.
- I acknowledge that I will check my official uiowa email account frequently while abroad, and respond in a timely manner if requested by UI.
- I agree to complete any pre-departure orientations required of me, whether online or in person, prior to departure.
- I am a U.S. citizen and will confirm that I have been registered in the U.S. DOS Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) prior to departure. I acknowledge that it is my responsibility to update the STEP registry when I travel outside of my primary location. OR:
- I am not a U.S. citizen and therefore not eligible to enroll in STEP. I will consult with my country’s embassy or consulate to determine if they have a similar service. If they do, I will access the safety measures available and appropriate to my circumstances.
- If traveling outside my primary location, I agree to share my travel plans with my program provider, faculty lead, or UI International Programs by emailing email@example.com.
- I agree to abide by all travel restrictions established by UI. This includes not traveling to U.S. DOS traveling warning locations unless I have previously received written/electronic approval to do so. Violation of any UI travel restriction may be cause for my immediate return to the U.S. I understand that I am responsible for researching any region or country I plan to visit outside of my primary location prior to departure; this includes safety, security, and health concerns in that location. I agree to contact UI International Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org when considering travel to U.S. DOS travel warning locations.
- I acknowledge that UI does not support student travel to CDC warning level 3 locations.
- I acknowledge that it is my responsibility to provide an emergency contact to UI when applying for a program or registering travel under the auspices of UI. I understand that this contact should be someone who is authorized to make medical decisions on my behalf in case of an emergency and will be contacted at the discretion of UI when there is a concern about my well-being.
- I acknowledge that UI may request my foreign phone number, foreign address, social media contact or other communication methods that I use while abroad to contact me in case of an emergency.
- I acknowledge that the host institution or UI partner program may report and disclose to UI International Programs information concerning incidents pertaining to my health or safety while abroad. Examples of such incidents include injury, illness, death, physical or sexual assault, or other sexual misconduct, arrest, involvement in an alleged crime or failure to attend required program activities without adequate explanation.
II. Mandatory International Medical and Security Insurance
UI mandates that all students traveling internationally under its auspices must be covered by the insurance provided by the Iowa Regents Universities. While serious medical and security emergencies are rare, the possibility is there. UI-mandated coverage includes comprehensive medical and security provisions, including evacuation under certain circumstances.
- I acknowledge the risks associated with studying and traveling abroad, and I authorize the University of Iowa, its authorized representative(s) or the program coordinator at the host institution, to secure any medical treatment determined to be necessary under the circumstances.
- I confirm that a physician has approved of my participation in my planned international activity, or that I agree to accept the risk of my participation without such approval.
- I understand that the insurance provided through the Iowa Regents Universities is mandatory and covers me for only the duration of the international activity or program. If I decide to depart from the U.S. earlier and/or return later in order to have personal travel time abroad, it is my responsibility to provide coverage for that personal time. I understand that UI strongly recommends maintaining medical, security and evacuation coverage for any travel not covered under the auspices of UI.
- I acknowledge that I have read the current Iowa Regents Universities insurance policy and understand that some high-risk activities are not covered. I recognize that it is my responsibility to limit said activities in accordance with the policy.
- I understand that continuity of care plans for pre-existing medical conditions can be arranged before I travel through the Iowa Regents Universities insurance provider. If I require assistance, I can contact UI International Programs at email@example.com.
III. Personal Conduct
To be eligible to travel internationally under the auspices of the UI, students must be eligible for enrollment at the UI; may not be suspended or expelled; and must be in good academic and disciplinary standing. It is the University of Iowa’s expectation that students conduct themselves appropriately for the culture and country they are visiting. Students’ preparedness for the heightened responsibilities associated with international travel is an eligibility consideration. Eligibility criteria may vary depending on the international activity proposed, with higher disciplinary and academic standards required for some locations and activities.
- I will strive to understand and respect the cultural differences that I encounter.
- I understand that I am subject to local laws and that if I violate local laws, even unknowingly, I may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned. I recognize that the U.S. government may have limited authority or ability to assist me.
- I will observe all academic and disciplinary regulations in effect at host institutions.
- I will adhere to UI’s Code of Student Life. I understand that infractions of the Conditions of Participation or Code of Student Life may result in disciplinary action, including but not limited to immediate dismissal from my international activity or program and/or sanctions by the UI Office of the Dean of Students that may include suspension or expulsion from UI.
- I have read the UI International Travel Policy for Students and confirm that I am eligible to travel internationally under the auspices of UI. I will not be on academic or disciplinary probation while on travel status.
- I acknowledge that UI, in its sole discretion, may deny approval for international travel through its programs or activities.
IV. Academic Conduct
While some host programs operate according to the U.S. model of higher education, others require students to adapt to a foreign educational system. Roles, expectations and responsibilities can be markedly different.
- If I am studying abroad, I will maintain a full course load while abroad, and take full responsibility for my performance in those classes.
- If I am conducting research abroad, I will obtain required approvals prior to departure, including Institutional Review Board (IRB) requirements, and I will comply with applicable restrictions and conditions in the course of the research abroad.
- I will respect the cultural differences I find and treat my host country and my host institution with dignity. I acknowledge that I am expected to conduct myself appropriately and respectfully.
- If I am taking part in a health-related, service-learning or internship activity abroad, I will take steps to safeguard my future professional reputation by following good practice standards that limit my duties to those I am qualified to perform. I will refer to the Forum on Education Abroad’s Standards of Good Practice to inform my participation in these types of programs.
VI. Financial Obligations
- I am aware of the costs associated with my planned international activity, and I agree to pay any required fees according to the program’s fee schedule.
- I acknowledge and accept the potential academic and financial consequences of withdrawing voluntarily from and/or returning home prior to the conclusion of my planned international activity.
V. Agreement & Release
I acknowledge that travel to and from and participation in the Program I am applying for involves some risk to person and property, including but not limited to the risk of injury due to accident and disease; and
WHEREAS, I acknowledge that travel to and from and participation in the Program may result in or otherwise involve a medical or other emergency or incident necessitating the administration of medical treatment, hospitalization and/or surgery;
NOW, THEREFORE, in consideration for being permitted to participate in the Program, I (Student) do hereby, for myself, my heirs, administrators, and executors, and the undersigned as parent, parents, or guardian of Student, do for ourselves and for and on behalf of said Student, all acknowledge and assume the risk of Student’s travel to and participation in the Program, and we do hereby release and forever discharge the State of Iowa; the University of Iowa; and the Board of Regents, State of Iowa; and all of their respective officers, employees, volunteers, and agents whether accompanying Student or otherwise, (collectively, Releasees) from any and all claims, demands, actions, or causes of action, on account of any injury to Student or Student’s property, on account of Student’s death, or on account of damages suffered by Student for whatever reasons, which may occur from any cause, including negligence, or in connection with travel to or from or participation in the Program or any continuances thereof; and we do hereby expressly covenant and agree to refrain from bringing suit or proceedings at law or in equity or otherwise as provided by law, against any of the Releasees on account of any and all such claims, demands, actions, or causes of action. I (Student) voluntarily assume these risks. I have read and understand this Participation Agreement and Release, and I submit and sign my application or registration form voluntarily and with full knowledge and intent.
Please read this form carefully and print out or bookmark for your records. Signing the accompanying program application or registration form serves as your agreement with the above conditions.