The University of Iowa

Current Students & Scholars

Coronavirus Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Questions specific to our community of international students and scholars can be found here.

F-1 Students


The F-1 nonimmigrant category was created by 101(a)(15)(F) of the Immigration and Nationality Act.  An F-1 student is a nonimmigrant who is pursuing a full course of study to achieve a specific education or professional objective at an academic institution in the United States [U.S.].  International students in F-1 status make up the majority of international students in most academic and language programs at the University of Iowa and in the U.S.

J-1 Students

The J Exchange Visitor category was developed to "increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries by means of education and cultural exchanges."  Students in J-1 are often part of an exchange agreement, or may be participating in a program funded by the U.S. government, foreign government, or international organization. 

J-1 Scholars

The UI hosts nearly 400 J-1 scholars annually, who come to the university for research, teaching, observation, and other professional activities. Note that the University’s J-1 program does not allow participants to undertake medical residencies or other advanced formal medical education. Individuals interested in such activities should contact Graduate Medical Education, which has responsibility for foreign medical residents and fellows at UIHC.

Faculty and research professionals who wish to pursue eligibility for longer term temporary worker immigration status should contact Faculty and Staff Immigration Services which processes applications for temporary H-1B, O-1 and TN immigration statuses as well as permanent residence for faculty and professional employees.