Eligibility for Extensions Within Normal Limitations

A J-1 scholar may receive an extension of stay if:

  • The current DS-2019 has not yet expired;
  • The scholar is still engaged in the activity shown on the DS-2019;
  • The scholar is otherwise maintaining status as a J-1 Exchange Visitor (e.g., maintaining required health insurance coverage for self and all J-2 dependents; not engaging in unauthorized employment);
  • The scholar can demonstrate adequate funding for the period of the proposed extension;
  • The extension will not carry the scholar beyond: five years if categorized on the DS-2019 as a J-1 Professor or Research Scholar, six months as a Short-Term Scholar, or one year as a Specialist.
  • The scholar has not received a waiver of the Two Year Home Residence requirement if subject to this restriction.

Procedure for Extensions Within Normal Limitations

Department administrators seeking to extend the program of a J-1 scholar should submit an e-form group request to ISSS. In order to do so, please follow the steps below:

  1. Go to the iHawk system at https://ihawk.uiowa.edu and select "Administrative Services for University Departments." Login using your HawkID and password.
  2. Request department access. ISSS tries to review requests for access on a daily basis. If you need immediate access, please call ISSS at 319-335-0335. If you already have department access, you may skip this step.
  3. In "Departmental Services," select "J-1 Scholar Extension." You will need the scholar's university ID and birthdate to access the main page of the e-form and begin the e-form group. There are 4 required e-forms in this group. Please utilize the key along the bottom of the screen to determine the status of the e-forms.
  4. ISSS will prepare a new DS-2019 to validate the extension. When completed, the extended DS-2019 will be sent to the host department.


• Extending permission to stay in the U.S. is the responsibility of the scholar and host. If the stay is not extended before expiration of the current DS-2019, the scholar is “out of status” and must apply for “reinstatement,” which may or may not be granted by the U.S. Department of State. If employed by the UI and an extension is not complete, the scholar will be working illegally. If this is the case, the scholar must contact ISSS immediately.