The Bedell World Experience Asia Scholarship will be awarded to an eligible undergraduate student wishing to study in a geographical area where Japanese, Chinese, or Korean is the primary language. This competitive, merit-based scholarship is designed for undergraduate students who are native residents of Iowa and propose to study for at least one semester in one of the areas listed above. In addition to the merit component, successful applicants will also show demonstrated financial need.
One (1), $1,000 Bedell World Experience Asia Scholarship will be awarded for a semester-length or academic year program.
- be an undergraduate, full-time, degree-seeking UI student in good academic standing
- have 3.33 GPA (UI cumulative)
- have completed at least 12 semester hours by the application deadline
- be a full-time Iowa native resident
- show demonstrated financial need per UI Award Letter
- plan to study in the aforementioned geographic area including the primary language requirement for at least one semester
Selection procedure and criteria
- academic and personal objectives which are clearly defined and realistic
- academic achievement and preparation
- quality and completeness of the essay submissions
- contribution of the study abroad experience to the student's overall academic program
- evidence of maturity, motivation and adaptability to a different cultural environment
Students may enroll in a formal academic study abroad program sponsored by the University of Iowa or by another accredited US university or exchange organization, or may enroll directly in a foreign university. Students who meet the requirements listed above are encouraged to apply for this scholarship by completion and submission of the scholarship application and all required attachments. Specific instructions are available in the application packet (see PDF link below).
Fall 2016 - Thursday, March 31, 2016*; Spring 2017 - TBD