The Joel D. and Sandra Barkan Scholarship will provide competitive, merit-based scholarships for students who study abroad in various non-Western European geographical areas (also excluding Australia and New Zealand). Eligible undergraduate, full-time, degree-seeking students may be pursing study abroad in countries including sub-Saharan Africa, Asia (including Central Asia), Latin America, and the Middle East (including North Africa). Scholarship recipients should plan to study for, at least, one semester of an academic year.
The number of individual scholarships may vary based on number of applicants, while the total annual amount awarded is $2,000.
- be an undergraduate, full-time, degree-seeking UI student in good academic standing
- have minimum 3.33 GPA (UI cumulative)
- have completed at least 12 semester hours by the application deadline
- plan to study in one of the countries identified above (sub-Saharan Africa, Asia-including Central Asia, Latin America, Middle East-including North Africa)
- completed a minimum of 12 s.h. by the application deadline
Selection procedure and criteria
- academic and personal objectives which are clearly defined and realistic
- academic achievement and preparation
- quality and completeness of the essay submissions
- contribution of the study abroad experience to the student's overall academic program
- evidence of maturity, motivation and adaptability to a different cultural environment
Students may enroll in a formal academic study abroad program sponsored by the University of Iowa or by another accredited US university or exchange organization, or may enroll directly in a foreign university. Students who meet the requirements listed above are encouraged to apply for this scholarship by completion and submission of the scholarship application and all required attachments. Specific instructions are available in the application packet (see PDF link below).
Fall 2016 - Thursday, March 31, 2016*; Spring 2017 - TBD