International Scholars

two international scholar boys listen to a presentation
two international scholar girls

The University of Iowa hosts nearly 400 J-1 scholars annually, who come to the University for research, teaching, observation, and other professional activities.

International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) provides immigration advising and orientation to individuals in J-1 status, as well as programs and activities for these scholars and their dependents.

Note that the University’s J-1 program does not allow participants to undertake medical residencies or other advanced formal medical education. Individuals interested in such activities should contact Graduate Medical Education which has responsibility for foreign medical residents and fellows at UIHC.

Faculty and research professionals who wish to pursue eligibility for longer term temporary worker immigration status should contact Faculty and Staff Immigration Services which processes applications for temporary H-1B, O-1 and TN immigration statuses as well as permanent residence for faculty and professional employees.