A huge congratulations to this year's Fulbright winners! So far, thirteen University of Iowa students/alumnae have been awarded with U.S. Student Grants to go abroad in 2015-16. Read about the recipients here.
UI breaks campus Fulbright award record with 13 recipients (The Gazette)
Campus investment results in record Fulbright awards
Thirteen UI students/alumni receive Fulbright awards
About the Program
Grants 101 Video Series
UI Fulbright Priority Deadline Application
Timelines and Checklists
Additional Fulbright Resources
Intensive Fulbright Workshop
Friday, Jan. 29, 2016
9 a.m.-12:00 noon
2520 UCC (upstairs)
*All events are located in 1117 University Capitol Centre, unless noted otherwise.
Deadline: early September, 2016
For information about next year's competition, please make an appointment with Karen Wachsmuth by filling out the Preliminary Application Form. After meeting with Karen Wachsmuth, students may contact UI Faculty Fulbright Mentors to assist with their application process. For general information, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Student Program website and refer to the campus information on this site.
The Fulbright U.S. Student Program is designed to give masters and doctoral candidates, recent baccalaureate recipients, and young professionals and artists opportunities for personal development and international experience. Projects may include independent library or field research, university coursework, training in a music conservatory or art school, special projects in the social or life sciences, teaching assistantships (for English-language courses, in selected countries), or a combination of these.
Along with opportunities for intellectual, professional, and artistic growth, the Fulbright Program offers invaluable opportunities to meet and work with people of the host country, sharing daily life as well as professional and creative insights. The program promotes cross-cultural interaction and mutual understanding through engagement in the community and on a person-to-person basis.
Don't miss this wonderful opportunity to learn to appreciate others' viewpoints, beliefs, and philosophies by working, living, teaching, and learning with them. Apply now for a U.S. Student Fulbright Fellowship. Funding can be obtained for study, research, or teaching assistantships in most foreign countries.
This program is for U.S. citizens only; permanent residents are not eligible. For specific information about this year's 2015-16 competition, please visit the Fulbright U.S. Student Program website. Please consult the webpage below for information regarding UI campus advising and general information including sample essays and FAQs.
Currently-enrolled UI students and alumni interested in applying through the UI should contact Fulbright Program Advisor Karen Wachsmuth in International Programs as early as possible for assistance with the application process and editorial assistance. The Fulbright competition is formally announced in March, and advising assistance is available throughout the summer.
Check out our new video series!
If you are beginning your Fulbright application, the Grant 101 Video Series will definitely help! Each video shares invaluable information from a panel of student awardees, professors, and UI Fulbright Mentors about the program. Please select videos below.
- Grants 101: Practical tips for choosing a country and preparing to go abroad--tips from A-Z!
- Grants 101: How to write an effective grant proposal and find a host affiliation abroad--tips from faculty
- Grants 101: How to get the best recommendations from faculty and students--and how to write a good proposal
- Grants 101: Q&A session with returned Fulbright awardees
July 1, 2016 | UI Fulbright Priority Deadline Application Due
- For more information about the Priority Deadline please view our handout by clicking here
Fulbright Application Process: Checklist/Timeline
If you are applying for a Study/Research/Arts grant, you'll need to start working right away on acquiring a Letter of Affiliation. Here are some sample letters:
- UI Fulbright Sample Essays: View winning Fulbright personal statements and statements of grant purpose from UI students at the International Programs Proposal Library. (Hawk ID is required to view essays). Samples of successful UI Fulbright proposals are also available in hard copies at Academic Programs and Services, International Programs, 1111 UCC.
- Fulbright 101: Do you have basic application questions? Check out our Fulbright 101 PowerPoint located at the International Programs Proposal Library. (Hawk ID is required to view PowerPoint).
- Fulbright Website: Review the Fulbright website very thoroughly for program and country details, application instructions and materials, and frequently asked questions.
- Fulbright E-Application: https://apply.embark.com/student/fulbright/usa/25/; create a profile and log in to begin the online application
- To be shared with your referees:
- General Information: Stanford University
- Personal Statements: Ohio Wesleyan University and Penn State
- Statement of Grant Purpose: Penn State
- Letters of Affiliation: Carnegie Mellon University
See a list of UI students and alumni who have received Fulbright awards in the past five years, and read about their unique experiences on our Fulbright U.S. Student Program Recipients page.
Luke Juran (photo, right) conducted research in post-disaster water sanitation in India through a Fulbright grant. In this video, he shares what inspired his project and how he gave back to the community while exploring the local culture.
Deanna Fei graduated with her MFA from the Writers’ Workshop at the University of Iowa and credits her Fulbright experience with giving her the time and inspiration to finish her debut novel, A Thread of Sky. In this article, Fei reflects on her experience and offers advice to future applicants. In this video created shortly after her novel's release, Fei credits International Programs for helping her return to China for the research and personal perspective that was critical to her writing.
All students, including undergraduate, graduate, professional students and university alumni, apply through Fulbright Program Advisor Karen Wachsmuth in International Programs. Please contact her for an initial appointment as early as possible: