University of Iowa

Special Considerations for UI Students

Housing in the UI Residence Halls

If you're currently living in the residence halls and will be leaving before your contract has finished, be sure to cancel your housing before leaving. Obtain a letter verifying your participation in a study abroad program from the Study Abroad office.

If you wish to live in the residence halls or the International Crossroads Community upon return, make the appropriate arrangements with the Housing Assignment Office (Burge Hall) before you leave campus in order to maintain your priority status for on-campus housing.

Completing Your Graduation Requirements While Abroad

File the "Application for Degree" form on MyUI. Be sure to submit the application by the application deadline. You may still request to participate in the graduation ceremonies if you will be in Iowa City during that time.

For more information about completing graduation requirements while abroad, contact the Registrar's Office.

Registering for Your Next Semester on Campus

  • First, make sure your U-bill is paid in full. Registration is blocked for students with an outstanding bill.
  • Contact your academic advisor to ask about being cleared to register for the upcoming session.
  • Maintain contact with your academic advisor. Identify the most convenient way to contact your advisor and do so three weeks before early registration begins. Check the Registar's Academic Calendar for details on when the early registration period begins.
  • Your advisor may wish to see a copy of your intended schedule before releasing your registration number.