International students who are currently enrolled at the University of Iowa are encouraged to consider participating in an approved study abroad program. This International Student Scholarship will be awarded via a competitive, merit-based application process. Eligible students must participate in an approved Study Abroad at an institution outside the United States (but not in their home country) for a summer or winter session (granting at least 3 s.h.).
One (1), $1,000 International Student Scholarship will be available for each summer or winter session.
To be eligible to apply, students must:
- be an undergraduate International Student (not holding a U.S. passport or U.S. permanent resident Green card)
- be in good academic standing
- have a minimum 3.33 GPA (Overall cumulative)
- have completed at least 12 semester hours by the application deadline
- propose to study abroad for at least one summer or winter session (not in their home country)
Students must be participating in a formal, academic-credit granting Study Abroad program sponsored by the University of Iowa, another U.S. university, exchange organization, or may enroll directly in a foreign university.
Selection procedure and criteria
Applications are reviewed by the Study Abroad Scholarship Committee. The following criteria are used in awarding the scholarship:
- academic and personal objectives which are clearly defined and realistic
- academic achievement and preparation
- quality and completeness of the project proposal
- contribution of the study abroad experience to the student’s overall academic program
- evidence of maturity, motivation, and adaptability to a different cultural environment
- demonstrated interest in learning about foreign cultures
Students who meet the requirements listed above are encouraged to apply for this scholarship by completion and submission of the scholarship application and all required attachments by the deadline listed below. Applicants will submit the application, Statement of Proposed Study and Personal Profile essays, two letters of reference from UI professors or UI Teaching assistants, and the unofficial grade report (available from the MyUI Student Portal). Additional details regarding these instructions are available in the application packet. Only the completed application packet (application, two essays, two letters of reference, and unofficial grade report) will be accepted.
Summer 2018 - Thursday, March 1, 2018*
Winter 2018 - TBD