Festival Arts, Carnival, and Community Development
Date: Wednesday, April 23, 2014
Time: 6-8 p.m.
Location: 2520D University Capitol Centre
Cross-Cultural Practices in Caribbean Literature and Art
Two talks by A. James Arnold, professor emeritus of French, University of Virginia
“To ‘Africa’ with Aimé Césaire and Wifredo Lam”
Date: Thursday, April 24, 2014
Time: 4-5:30 p.m.
Place: Room 315, Phillips Hall
"Les Discours identitaires aux Antilles Françaises (1940-1995)”
Date: Friday April 25, 2014
Time: 11:00 a.m. -12:30 p.m.
Place: Room 2390, University Capitol Centre
International Art Activism and Community Arts Forum
Date: Thursday, October 16, 2014
Time: 7:00-8:30 p.m.
Location: Public Space One gallery at 120 N Dubuque St., Iowa City
- Sandra Spieler, Artistic Director, In The Heart of the Beast Puppet and Mask Theatre
- John Englebrecht, Director, Public Space One
- Kalmia Strong, artist, Public Space One
- Anita Jung, School of Art & Art History
- Jennifer Shook, puppeteer & PhD candidate in English and the Center for the Book
- Loyce Arthur, Theatre Arts
Mask, Puppet, and Community Parade Workshops with Sandra Spieler
Thursday, Oct. 16, 3:30-5:30 p.m.
Friday, Oct. 17, 1:30-4:30 p.m.
Room 152 of the Theatre Building
Iowa City Carnaval Project
The Iowa City Carnaval Parade is held annually during the Iowa Arts Festival.
Read an article from The Gazette about this year's parade: Iowa City Carnaval gives Afro-Caribbean traditions a Midwestern touch