Travel Documentation

Do Not Wait Until The Last Minute to Get Your Documentation!

The Passport:

What it is:

Passports are issued by the U.S. government for U.S. citizens; citizens of other countries have passports issued by their own government. No matter where you are headed, you will be required to have a valid US passport prior to going abroad. Some study abroad programs require you to have a valid passport already when you apply. Even if your program does not require this, it is a good idea to start processing a passport application as soon as you know you will be going abroad. For adults, US passports are currently valid for ten years from the date of issue.

Potential complications:

Not only do you need a passport, but you may need to have the passport ready months before departure. It will also need to be valid for months after your return. Why? Depending on where you are going and how long you will stay, you may need to have a visa stamped into your passport well in advance of departure. Most countries that you will visit require that your passport be valid for at least 6 months past the date that you plan on returning to the U.S.

How to get one:

If you have never had a U.S. passport before you must submit your application in person at a passport office. Passport applications are available on-line or from a passport office. Processing times vary, but allowing at least 6-8 weeks is advisable.
If you have left things to the last minute, it is possible to apply for an expedited passport. Expedited service by mail still takes weeks and costs more than regular service. For extreme emergencies, it is possible to apply in person at a Regional Passport Agency. The nearest Passport Agency is in Chicago and you must have an advance appointment to be able to use their services. If you are in a situation where you think you need to expedite a passport application, please check with your study abroad advisor for advice.

What to do with it while you are abroad:

Important! Before you go abroad be sure to make two photocopies of the inside front cover of your passport: leave one with someone at home and take the other copy with you. If you have a current visa in your passport, make a copy of that as well. Keep your copies separate from your actual passport in case the original is lost or stolen. You may also want to take a certified copy of your birth certificate with you as proof of ID in case your passport is stolen.

The Visa

What it is:

A visa is document that is typically affixed in your passport, obtained from a foreign consulate or embassy, which grants you permission from that foreign government to enter their country. Sometimes visas are obtained from passport control/customs as you enter a foreign country airport or cross a land border. However, most of the time, the visa is something that must be acquired in advance and while in the U.S. They are issued for specific purposes, such as work, travel, tourism, or study. The kind of visa required, the process for applying and the way that they are issued depends on the particular country, the length of time that you will be in the country and the consulate office that has jurisdiction for the part of the U.S. where you are a student or permanent resident. Even if you are only planning to travel for a short time, some countries require a visa—particularly if you’re traveling outside of Europe. The U.S. State Department keeps track of what kinds of visa requirements other countries have for U.S. citizens through their country-specific information pages.

Potential complications:

Please note that it can be difficult and time-consuming to acquire a visa. Sometimes there are requirements which are difficult to meet, documents that are difficult to obtain and timelines which must be strictly met in order to receive a visa. Sometimes travel to a consular office (in Chicago or further away) is required by the person applying for the visa. Consulates are not open for very many hours each day and are often short-staffed. In addition, foreign countries’ national holidays, in addition to U.S. federal holidays result in consulate closings. For these reasons it is important to start on your visa as soon as you are eligible to do so which typically coincides with acceptance into your study abroad program.

How to get one:

Your study abroad advisor can help you determine if you need a visa or not. If you do need a visa, your advisor can help you set up an appointment with the Participant Services Coordinator in the Study Abroad office for assistance putting together your visa application and understanding the requirements and process. In most cases, study abroad programs provide information about visa processing. In all cases, each consulate has final authority in determining what the current requirements are. It is often your responsibility to assemble your application and required documents in order to get the visa from the appropriate consulate. Our Participant Services Coordinator can help to demystify the process.

A Word about Passport / Visa Photos:

In order to obtain a passport and foreign visa, official passport photos are required. Passport photos must meet strict guidelines and are not typically something that an amateur photographer can take and print. Two identical photos are needed for a passport application; the number of photos and the composition of the photos for foreign visas vary. In Iowa City most pharmacies and copy shops take and print passport photos as does the passport office in the main post office. The most affordable place to get passport photos, especially if you need more than 2 photos, is the Center for Media Production in Seashore Hall. You need to have an advance appointment to have photos taken there (call 335-2561) and they require 5 business days to produce the photos. The cost of passport photos from the photo service is subject to change at the beginning of each academic year. For 2011-12 it costs $16 for a set of 6 passport photos and $3.50 for a second set of six (plus tax). Photo service can also take photos to meet other composition requirements if you bring along those requirements to your appointment. Often students will need many small facial photos while studying abroad for things like the International Student Identity Card, bus passes, housing forms, University identification cards, gym memberships, etc. Be sure to bring any extra photos along with you when you go abroad!

Residence Permits

This is permission to remain in another country for an extended period. Some study abroad programs will assist participants with the paperwork necessary to obtain a residence permit, but be prepared to take care of this on your own at a police station or city government office when you reach your host country.

Emergency Processing

If you have left things to the last minute, it is possible to apply for an expedited passport. If you are applying for a renewal passport and your previous passport was issued when you were 16 years old or over, you may do this through the mail.

However, if you are applying for a U.S. passport for the first time (or if you are applying for a renewal and your previous passport was issued when you were under 16), you must apply in person at a U.S. passport agency. Applying for an expedited passport involves an extra $60 fee (in addition to the routine service fee of $85).

For more information, contact the USPS Passport Agent at the Iowa City Post Office, 400 S. Clinton St., (319) 354-1560.

Passport Agencies

It is also possible to use the services of an agency. For a fee, the agency will handle your applications and help you obtain a passport and visas quickly. It all depends on proof of departure date and is practical only for truly last minute cases.