James L. and Rubie S. Watson Study Abroad Scholarship will provide competitive, merit-based scholarships for undergraduate students who study abroad in one more of the following countries and territories: China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, India. Students with diverse majors in a variety of disciplines are encouraged to apply for this scholarship. Scholarship recipients should plan to study for, at least, one semester of an academic year program.
One (1), $1,000 James L. and Rubie S. Watson Study Abroad Scholarship will be awarded for a semester-length or academic year program.
- be an undergraduate, full-time, degree-seeking UI student in good academic standing
- have minimum 3.33 GPA (Overall cumulative)
- have completed at least 12 semester hours by the application deadline
- plan to study in one of the countries or territories identified above (China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, or India) for at least one semester of an academic year
Selection procedure and criteria
- academic and personal objectives which are clearly defined and realistic
- academic achievement and preparation
- anticipated impact of your choice in light of your academic discipline/major
- quality and completeness of the essay submissions
- factors leading you to select the country for study
- contribution of the study abroad experience to the student's overall academic program
- evidence of maturity, motivation and adaptability to a different cultural environment
Students may enroll in a formal academic study abroad program sponsored by the University of Iowa or by another accredited US university or exchange organization, or may enroll directly in a foreign university. Students who meet the requirements listed above are encouraged to apply for this scholarship. The application packet includes the application form, two essays (Statement of Proposed Study and Personal Statement - each 750 words or less), UI Award Letter and an unofficial grade report (both available from ISIS Student Portal), and two letters of reference (UI faculty/Teaching Assistants).
Submit the complete application packet to the Study Abroad office (1111 University Capitol Centre) by the application deadline. Incomplete application packets will NOT be accepted.
Fall 2016 - Thursday, March 31, 2016*; Spring 2017 - TBD