Overview - Spring 2016 only
The Presidential Scholarships for Study Abroad were created in 1983 and are funded by the Office of the Provost. These scholarships are designed to defray expenses associated with study abroad that exceed the costs of tuition, room and board, and are intended for undergraduates who engage in study abroad during their sophomore, junior or senior year. Students are especially encouraged to consider studying abroad in Third World countries. Five $2,500 scholarships will be awarded for the Spring 2016 semester.
To be eligible to apply, students must:
- be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- have earned at least 12 semester hours by the application deadline
- have a minimum 3.33 g.p.a.
- propose to study abroad for at least one semester during the academic year
Students may enroll in a formal academic program sponsored by the University of Iowa or by another U.S. university or exchange organization, may enroll directly in a foreign university, or may present a proposal for an independent study project that has received prior approval by their academic adviser.
Selection procedure and criteria
Applications are reviewed by faculty members of the Study Abroad Scholarship Committee. The following criteria are used in recommending awards:
- academic and personal objectives which are clearly defined and realistic
- academic achievement and preparation
- quality and completeness of the project proposal
- contribution of the study abroad experience to the student’s overall academic program
- evidence of maturity, motivation and adaptability to a different cultural environment
- demonstrated interest in learning about foreign cultures
"Given world events of the past few years, it is essential that we provide opportunities for UI students to experience other cultures, and to gain a better understanding of the language, politics, history, and culture of different countries. By expanding their knowledge and understanding of other cultures, we also are empowering students with the tools to succeed in today's interdependent world. I am proud that our Presidential Scholarships for Study Abroad allow for some of our best students to engage in these critical international experiences."
-David J. Skorton
former University of Iowa President