The Diversity Ambassador Scholarship program provides awards to study abroad for a semester or academic year program. The scholarships are intended to support the diversification of students who study abroad. Upon completion of the study abroad program and return to UI, award recipients are asked to submit a photo and an open letter to prospective students for use on our diversity web pages, or suggest an alternate means of sharing with prospective students. Open letters are especially helpful as they reach the broadest audience. All Diversity Ambassadors will be invited to share their experiences abroad with prospective students from underrepresented groups on campus through outreach events.
Up to four (4), $500 Diversity Ambassador Scholarships will be awarded for the Spring and Fall semesters or Academic Year.
- undergraduate, full-time, degree-seeking UI student in good academic and disciplinary standing
- plan to participate in an approved study abroad program during the semester of application
Additional Eligibility Considerations
Students from groups that have traditionally been under-represented in study abroad are encouraged to apply. Eligibility includes but is not limited to:
- Students from racial and ethnic backgrounds that are under-represented on the UI campus
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) students
- Students with disabilities
- Students who are the first in their family to attend college or university ("first generation" college students)
- Students with a history of overcoming adversity based on group identification or affiliation
Applicants may apply for need and/or other financial awards concurrently; review other award categories on our web page to determine your eligibility for other opportunities.
Diversity Ambassador Scholarship recipients are not eligible to receive the scholarship in subsequent sessions to allow the greatest number students to receive this award.
To apply for a Diversity Ambassador Scholarship, download, complete and print the application, and return it to the Study Abroad office.
Fall 2016 - Friday, March 11, 2016*; Spring 2017 - TBD
*The final deadline listed for the corresponding application submission is 5 p.m. of the date listed above (close of business day in the Study Abroad office - 1111 University Capitol Center). No applications will be accepted after this deadline!
For more information about UI efforts to create a welcoming climate for students from communities under-represented in higher education, visit the Diversity at Iowa website.