Financial Aid

Funding your study

University of Iowa students can apply all federal and institutional scholarships and financial aid they receive towards the cost of study abroad.

If you are studying abroad on a non-UI program, your UI awards and your federal financial aid can be applied toward those costs if a consortium agreement is created between the UI and the U.S. college or university offering the study abroad program. Your study abroad advisor will explain this process when you complete a Credit Approval Form.

In addition to the federal or UI funds you may already receive, you are encouraged to apply for a Study Abroad Need-Based Grant and/or a Study Abroad Merit-Based Scholarship, if you meet the eligibility requirements. Visit our Funding section for further information.

Some UI study abroad programs in Germany and Austria come with automatic scholarships. Many include a travel scholarship of up to $1,000, for example, or other funds to help defray the cost of study abroad.

The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) holds a national undergraduate and graduate scholarship competition every year for study in Germany. The DAAD also offers heavily subsidized study abroad programs, such as RISE (Research in Science and Engineering).

Further reading

US Department of Education’s Student Guide on federal financial aid