Financial Aid

Funding your studies

University of Iowa students can apply all federal and institutional scholarships and financial aid they receive towards the cost of study abroad. In addition to the funds you may already receive, you are encouraged to apply for a Study Abroad Need-Based Grant and/or a Study Abroad Merit-Based Scholarship, if you meet the eligibility requirements.

If you are studying abroad on a non-UI program, your UI awards and your federal financial aid can be applied toward those costs if a consortium agreement is created between the UI and the U.S. college or university offering the study abroad program. Your study abroad advisor will explain this process when you complete a Credit Approval Form.

Students pursuing independent enrollment at Korean universities, and who receive scholarships and/or financial aid, need to be aware that complications disbursing financial aid may result if the Korean university to which they apply is not registered with the U.S. Department of Education and therefore eligible to distribute federal financial aid. Again, by working with your study abroad advisor, you can avoid these problems before you select the Korean university to which you will apply.

Here are some helpful links to get you started funding the program:

Study Abroad Scholarship Applications

UI Financial Aid Information

Department of Education’s Student Guide on federal financial aid