As a J-1 Exchange Visitor it is important that you maintain your lawful J-1 status. Failure to do so can have serious long-term consequences. Below are steps you can take to ensure that you remain in status while in the U.S.:
- Check-in with International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) immediately upon your arrival into the United States. Contact ISSS at 319-335-0335 to schedule an appointment.
- The determining date of your status is the ending date in section 3 of your DS-2019 form. DO NOT let your ending date on your DS-2019 expire. If your appointment at the University of Iowa is extended, the department must contact ISSS prior to the current expiration date to have the DS-2019 form extended as well.
- Do not accept unauthorized employment . The only activity you are permitted is the one described in section 4 of the DS-2019 form. You must consult an ISSS advisor before presenting any lectures or participating in any conferences during your stay.
- Comply with the U.S. Department of State’s health insurance requirements for J-1 visa holders and their dependents. Failure to carry health insurance is considered to be a violation of the Exchange Visitor Program and will result in termination of your program and your J visa status.
- Keep your passport valid. Passport can be renewed by your embassy located in the United States. Please go the Department of State site to find information about your embassy.
- Leave the U.S. within 30 days of the ending date of your exchange visitor program. Complete the Completion of Program and Departure Notification e-form request for ISSS.