Application deadline: February 22, 2012 at 4:30 p.m.
Complete applications should be emailed to email@example.com  and must consist of the following:
• Completed Application Form. Use the form linked under Application Procedure on the website.
• Research Proposal. In no more than two pages (single- or double-spaced, with one-inch margins and 12-point font), summarize your research plans and your reasons for undertaking this research in the chosen country. Include the following sections:
o Main research problems / questions
o Methods / approaches
o Detailed plan of research in destination county
• Personal Profile. Provide the review committee with a one-page narrative profile of yourself as a person. You may choose to include information about your personal history, family background, influences on your intellectual development, the educational and cultural opportunities to which you have been exposed, and the ways in which these experiences have affected you. You should also place your current research in the perspective of your future academic and career goals.
• Budget. Use the form linked under Application Procedure on the website. Specify the period of time you will be in the country and how you will use the fellowship money according to the outline included in the application packet. If you are applying for other scholarships or grants (either within the University of Iowa or from external agencies), list these on the budget form and indicate the amount and status of and the date of notification for each award.
• Supporting Letters of Reference. You must complete and email two reference forms found on the website to firstname.lastname@example.org  (along with your other application materials), as well as to your two faculty referees, one of whom should be your advisor. Your referees should also be provided with a copy of your research proposal. Referees should be instructed to email their letters of recommendation directly to email@example.com . Alternatively, referees may address hard copies of these confidential letters—signed and on institutional letterhead—to Academic Programs and Student Services Coordinator, International Programs, 1111 University Capitol Centre. It is your responsibility to ensure that the letters of reference arrive in our office by the deadline. Please contact us by Monday, February 13, if you have any concerns about your letters.
• International Programs Stanley Award Human Subjects Research Advisor Form. All applicants must confer with their primary UI faculty project advisor concerning the potential need for approval for their research from The University of Iowa Institutional Review Board (IRB) for Human Subjects Research. You and your advisor will both be required to sign the IP Stanley Award Human Subjects Research Advisor Form stating the advisor’s determination of whether you need to pursue full IRB approval for your project. If your advisor determines that you need IRB approval for your project, then he/she will instruct you about how to proceed.
This is a serious matter, so do not simply ask your advisor to sign this form; the project and the need for approval must be thoroughly discussed. Your advisor is ultimately responsible, along with you, for compliance with federal and University regulations concerning human subjects research. Information can be found at the University of Iowa website for IRB . Completion of the advisor form is required for a Stanley Award application for IP administrative purposes; completion of the form does not exempt you or your advisor from further IRB communication or action. IP and OAPS cannot advise on IRB and HSO matters; this is a departmental and disciplinary consideration.
• Transcripts. Attach one electronic transcript from each undergraduate and/or each graduate university or college attended to date, including the University of Iowa (scanned copies of originals or ISIS-generated copies are acceptable). You do not need to submit a separate transcript for coursework that appears on your UI transcripts.
Questions: firstname.lastname@example.org  / 319-335-1436