Arriving to study and live in a foreign country with a different language can be challenging. There are several resources in the community though that can help.
English Proficiency Development Opportunities
- Campus Conversation Partners 
Fall registration is now open for the campus-wide international conversation partner program. Campus Conversation Partners (CCP) is devoted to building lasting relationships between non-native English speakers and faculty/staff at The UI. International students, staff, and scholars seek opportunities to share their cultures with others, learn about U.S. culture, and meet members of the UI community. As a conversation partner, you will learn about other cultures and traditions.
- International Women’s Club 
- Morning Classes Tuesdays and Thursdays: 9:00 – 11:00 a.m.
All Levels St. Andrew Presbyterian Church
1300 Melrose Avenue (Corner of Melrose & Sunset)
Informal classes, divided into 3 or 4 levels according to ability. New students are welcome. The charge for the ten week session is $20 (nonmembers); $10 (members). Free childcare is provided. For more information contact Becky Sato at 337-2589/ email@example.com  or visit www.iwc-iowa-city.com 
- Kirkwood Community College 
- Free to eligible adults through Kirkwood’s Adult Basic Education Program in Iowa City. For more information call 319/887-3646 or visit their website.
- Iowa City Public Library, 123 S Linn St, Iowa City, IA
- Informal conversion practice for non-native English speakers held every Friday at 10 a.m.