Study abroad is an experience you’ll never forget. It changes you forever, making you a more self-confident individual and a better world citizen. So, what are you going to make of your experience overseas when you get back to the States?
Are you going to make a photo album, put it on your shelf, and take it down from time to time to reminisce about that special time in your life? Or are you going to use that experience, and translate it into the new person you’ve become? If you want to get involved when you get back to town, there are lots of ways to do it. Here’s a list of suggestions:
Re-work your academic focus
- Did you know you can major in International Studies at the UI? Consider applying some of the course work you took abroad to a new major, minor or certificate at the UI. Review the list of possibilities and consult your academic adviser.
- Have you ever thought of adding the International Business Certificate to you repertoire? Your overseas credit might get you started. Contact the UG Program office in the Tippee College of Business for more details.
Help us promote study abroad
Get involved in local international activities
Help new international students who come to the UI
- Join Global Buddies , a group that matches new international students with returned study abroad students.
- Volunteer to help during new international student orientation at the beginning of fall and spring semesters. Contact International Students and Scholars Services (ISSS), 335-0335.
- Join the Friends of International Students community group, and get matched with an international student to do things together. Send inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Is there life after graduation?
- Consider applying for a Fulbright Scholarship for graduating seniors and get back overseas! To learn more, contact the UI Honors Program, 319-335-1874.
- Consider a stint in the Peace Corps , the toughest job you’ll ever love. Contact the UI campus representative, email@example.com .