A Social Security number is intended to accurately record your earnings in this country. J-1 scholars are eligible for Social Security Numbers provided that they have the J-1 sponsor's permission to work.
Do I Need a Social Security Number?
Social Security Numbers are issued for employment purposes. If you will be employed by Univesity of Iowa as a J-1 scholar, you will need to apply for a social security number. Please note that employment must be authorized in advance by the J-1 scholar's program sponsor.
Social security numbers are NOT needed for:
- Banking- J-1 Scholars do not need a Social Security number to open a bank account or for most other financial transactions. The bank may J-visa holders to fill out Internal Revenue Service form W-8BEN to prove that they are exempt from the requirement of providing a Social Security number.
- Driver's License- Although some states require that you have a Social Security number in order to obtain a driver's license, the State of Iowa does not have such a requirement. Therefore, you do not need a Social Security number to obtain a driver's license in Iowa.
How to Apply for a Social Security Card
1. Wait at least 10 days after your arrival and 2 business days after your ISSS orientation session.
2. Take your immigration documents (passport, I-94, and DS-2019) to the Social Security Administration Office.
Telephone: (319) 338-9461 or 1-800-772-1213
Hours: 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday
3. Take the social security card to your sponsoring department so the Human Resources representative can update your I-9 record with this number.
What is an ITIN?
An ITIN is an Individual Tax Identification Number. This number is different from a Social Security Number which is used by the individual who worked in the U.S. and earned income and is filing a tax return. This number is an alternative option for scholars and/or dependents who earned income during the tax year, but are not eligible for a social security number. It is also used to identify the dependents of the person filing a tax return. There are only a few cases where scholars can claim dependents on their tax return. ISSS is unable to assist with ITIN applications. You may find a list of certified acceptance agents in the state of Iowa here.