The Diversity Ambassador Scholarship program provides awards of $500 for UI undergraduate students to study abroad for a summer, winter, semester or academic year program. The scholarships are intended to support the diversification of students who study abroad. Upon completion of the study abroad program and return to UI, award recipients are required to submit an open letter to prospective students for use on our diversity web pages. These Diversity Ambassadors will also be given the opportunity to share their experience abroad with prospective students from an underrepresented group on campus through outreach events.
Students from groups that have traditionally been under-represented in study abroad are encouraged to apply. Eligibility includes but is not limited to:
- Students from racial and ethnic backgrounds that are under-represented on the UI campus
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) students
- Students with disabilities
- Students who are the first in their family to attend college or university ("first generation" college students)
- Students with a history of overcoming adversity based on group identification or affiliation
To apply for a Diversity Ambassador Scholarship, download, complete and print the application, and return it to the Study Abroad office by the deadline indicated on the application.
|Scholarship application||Amount||# of awards||Deadlines|
|Diversity Ambassador Scholarship||$500||varies, 3-5 per session||
October 1* for winter; October 15* for spring;
*The final deadline for application submission is 5 p.m. of the date listed above (close of business day in the Study Abroad office).
Diversity Ambassador Scholarship recipients must be in good academic standing. Applicants may apply for need and merit based awards concurrently; check these undergraduate award categories on our web page to determine if you are eligible to apply.