Extended Leave

J-1 exchange visitors are expected to participate fully in their program and be actively engaged in activities appropriate for their J-1 catagory. Scholars wishing to take extended leave (more than 4 weeks) from their position at the University of Iowa must consult with an ISSS advisor prior to departure.

J-1 scholars should also consider whether they will ever need to be absent from the U.S. for longer than 1 month and wish to leave their J-2 dependents in the U.S.  Federal law permits J-1's to be gone for 30 days while leaving the J-2's behind in the U.S.