UI Center for Human Rights hosts special forum on Syria Sept. 11
The University of Iowa Center for Human Rights (UICHR) will host a special forum on the conflict in Syria titled "Intervention in Syria: Law, Ethics, and Policy" from 7:30 to 9 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 11, in Conference Room 2520D on the second floor of the University Capitol Centre in the Old Capitol Town Center.
The forum is free and open to the public, and refreshments will be served.
This discussion will center on the legal, political, and moral dimensions of military intervention, as well as on its potential effect in the rest of the Middle East. The panel will be composed of members of the UI faculty and local community, including the following:
- James Leach, UI chair in public affairs and visiting professor of law, senior scholar, and moderator;
- Adrien Wing, executive director of the UICHR and Bessie Dutton Murray Professor of Law, who will give the introduction;
- Nathan Miller, assistant director of the UICHR and senior fellow for human rights and social justice;
- Sara Mitchell, professor and chair of the UI Department of Political Science;
- Abuissa Newman, a Syrian-American;
- Keith Porter, president and CEO of the Stanley Foundation
- Maya Steinitz, associate professor of law in the UI College of Law.
For more information, visit Iowa Now.