Departure Reporting Requirement
All J-1 Scholars are required to notify International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) of the completion of their program. A J-1 scholar program will end when:
- The end date of the DS-2019 is reached
- J-1 scholar activities are completed prior to the end date on the DS-2019
- Upon transfer to another J-1 program
Scholars who will be completing their J-1 program should login to their iHawk account (click the blue login button) using their HawkID and password. Go to "J-1 Scholar Services" and complete the e-form "Completion of Program and Departure Notification." The UI department will then be asked to comment on the scholar's plans via electronic workflow.
30-Day Grace Period
Upon completion of a J-1 program, J-1 scholars have an additional 30 days to remain in the US for ‘cultural exchange’.
- Scholars may not continue J-1 activities during this period
- During this time the scholar may not depart the US and re-enter as a J-1 scholar.
Income Tax Requirement
All scholars (paid and unpaid) will need to submit U.S. income tax forms. Please see the Tax Information page for details