Transferring Away from the University of Iowa


  1. A J-1 student may transfer to another J-1 program sponsor to continue his or her J-1 program objective in the same area of study. Students wishing to transfer to pursue a new area of study should consult with an ISSS advisor for eligibility.
  2. Login to your iHawk account (click the blue login button) using your HawkID and password. Go to "J-1 Student Services" and complete the e-form "Transfer Out Request."
  3. After submission of your e-form request, come in to meet with an ISSS advisor during walk-in hours. If you did not upload a copy of your admission letter, please bring that document with you. If there are no questions regarding your request, an advisor will transfer your SEVIS record to your new school. 

Transfer Procedure

  1. You apply to another U.S. school and are admitted to that school.
  2. Before the new school can issue a DS-2019 for you, you must come to ISSS to set a “release date” upon which your SEVIS records will be electronically transferred to the new school.  You will retain the same SEVIS number you currently have.
  3. After the transfer release date arrives, the new school will be able to issue a new DS-2019.
  4. Your J-1 program participation must be validated in SEVIS by the Responsible Officer at your new school no later than 30 days after the transfer effective date. You must contact your new school for transfer-in instructions.

Transfer Release Date

Your new school cannot make a DS-2019 for you until the University of Iowa “releases” your immigration records in SEVIS to the new school.  To do this, we must specify a “release date,” whereupon the UI will no longer be able to access or change your records, and they will then fall under the jurisdiction of the new school. Please note that your record must be transferred in SEVIS before the program end date listed on your current DS-2019.

Canceling the Transfer Release Date

Before beginning the transfer process, an exchange visitor should discuss his or her plans with the RO/AROs of both programs, make a definite decision about the transfer, and ensure that all parties involved have agreed on the date of transfer. It may be very difficult to change the date of transfer after the process has been started.


Your travel plans may affect your ability to transfer your SEVIS record.  If you intend to transfer your record to another school, please talk to ISSS prior to making travel plans and departing the U.S. 

Other Issues to Consider

  • If you have not yet completed your program, notify your academic advisor of your intent to leave the University of Iowa.
  • If you are a student and are registered for the next term, remember to work with the Registrar and withdraw your enrollment
  • If you live off campus and your lease has not ended, contact your landlord to cancel or sublet your lease and fulfill any move-out obligations.  Remember to cancel services such as gas, electric, water, phone, cable.  If you live on-campus, contact the Housing Office to determine your move-out date and obligations
  • Check your University of Iowa UBill account for any bills to pay and contact the University Billing Office with questions
  • Go to the U.S. Post Office and complete a form to have your mail forwarded or visit the U.S. Post Office online and enter your “change of address” information online.  The U.S. Post Office may not forward mail to a non-U.S. address.