Change of Degree Level

What is a change of degree level?

A degree level refers to whether you are pursuing a “Bachelor,” “Master,” or “Doctorate” degree or are a “non-degree” student.  J-1 students may only change to a higher educational level. If you want to move to a lower educational level, or you want to change from a non-degree program to a degree program, you will need to meet with an ISSS advisor to discuss re-entering the U.S. to begin a new J program or re-entering the U.S. to become an F-1 student. Note: J-1 students must receive approval from ISSS before changing degree levels. 


What is the procedure for obtaining a change of level?

  1. Login to your iHawk account (click the blue login button) using your HawkID and password. Go to "J-1 Student Services" and complete the e-form "Change of Degree Level Request."
  2. Once you complete the e-form, your academic advisor will need to review it. Your advisor will receive an email message from ISSS which will provide a link to review your request. Your advisor will be asked to comment on your request.
    • If you are advised by the Academic Advising Center, you must make an appointment to meet with your advisor before they will approve the e-form request. 
    • If you are advised in an academic department, your departmental advisor may also prefer that you schedule an appointment to meet with them; it is a good idea to inform your academic advisor that he/she has been sent an email from the ISSS that will need to be reviewed and approved.
  3. After your advisor comments on your e-form request, you will receive an e-mail from ISSS telling you to meet an advisor during walk-in hours. Please bring your updated financial documentation with you. Possible documentation could be a bank statement (issued within the last 6 months) or offer letter for a graduate assistantship (indicating stipend and exact amount of tuition scholarship if applicable).  We cannot process your extension without updated financial documentation.  If there are no questions regarding your request, an advisor will approve the e-form and print a new Immigration Document with the new Degree Level.

Note: Student must also be registered for coursework during the semester/session the change becomes effective, even if the change occurs in the summer.