The Global Buddies Program is a recognized UI student organization that matches new international exchange students with American students who have been on campus for at least one year. American students are often past study abroad participants. Students will learn from each other. The new exchange students will be learning about the University, Iowa City, North American culture(s), and the English language. The students from the United States will learn about the culture, language and country of the student with whom they are matched. In addition, this is an opportunity for all participants to reflect on and gain a deeper understanding of their own culture through new perspectives. It is opportunity to make a new friend.
Global Buddies Activities
UI staff organize at least one "Global Buddies" event a month. Previous activities have included the following:
- Evening gatherings to watch movies, go out for dinner, celebrate various holidays throughout the year;
- Field trips to quaint Iowa towns for shopping and festivals;
- Hikes through Hickory Hill Park in Iowa City, Maquoketa Caves and other state parks;
- Hawkeye football/basketball/volleyball games
- Visits to haunted houses for Halloween and other holiday adventures;
- Field trips to swimming pools and lakes in the Iowa City area
- Other activities suggested by the students throughout the year!
Global Buddies commit to the following:
Accompanying your Buddy to Global Buddies group activities when possible.
Meeting with your Buddy at least twice per month during your first semester in Iowa City.
Contacting Study Abroad staff if you and your Buddy have any misunderstandings.
Notifying Study Abroad staff if for any reason you are unable to follow through with these commitments
Please email here if you are interested in Global Buddies, if eligible you will be emailed an application. Please note Global Buddies membership is limited to exchange students coming to the University of Iowa for a short term stay.
For more general information about the Global Buddies and other UI student organizations, please see the Office of Student Life.
Please contact the Global Buddies Coordinator for more information:
Jessica Voigt: firstname.lastname@example.org