Unless your UI faculty host has made housing arrangements, you will need to be concerned about both an immediate place to stay and longer term housing. One short-term option is the Iowa House Hotel, an on-campus facility located in the Iowa Memorial Union.
As a visiting scholar, you can get a special discounted room rate. As rooms are not always available, you should make reservations beforehand by calling 319-335-3513 and asking for Kathy, or for information e-mail the hotel at email@example.com.
ISSS does not provide direct assistance in locating housing or roommates. Several good resources are listed below. You can also refer to nationality organizations listed at the bottom of this page for assistance in finding available housing.
Your host department is often a good resource to help you find longer term housing. Some other sources of information are:
- University of Iowa’s Housing Guide
- University of Iowa Off-Campus Housing Services
- City of Iowa City Off-Campus Living Guide
- Local Newspapers (look at classified ads)
Average Rental Rates in Iowa City
- Rental rates are subject to vary in the area based on proximity to campus, number of bedrooms, and other features.
- Utilities, such as electric service, are normally paid in addition to rent
As a visiting scholar, you should plan to have a minimum of $900 per month to cover your living expenses, and should plan on an additional $250 per month for each accompanying dependent. Health insurance, if purchased through the University, will cost $250-$400 per month for a single individual, $550-$900/month for a scholar and spouse, and $700-$1,000 per month for a scholar with a family.