Funded in part by the Stanley-UI Foundation Support Organization
International Programs International Travel Awards contribute to internationalization at the University of Iowa by funding the international scholarship and engagement of UI faculty and staff. Through the generous support of the Stanley-UI Foundation Support Organization, International Travel Awards support international travel for research, creative activity, and active conference participation or other collaborative activity.
The first of each month from January through December.
- All University of Iowa tenured, tenure-track, clinical, and research faculty, and International Programs' adjunct faculty, as well as permanent UI Professional & Scientific staff are eligible to apply. (Adjuncts, lecturers, and visitors of any rank in colleges / units other than IP are ineligible to apply.)
- Applications must involve international travel.
- Applications must be received prior to an applicant’s planned travel dates.
- Applications for funding to travel in June of a given year must be submitted before May 1st of that year (because of budgetary considerations related to the University’s fiscal year).
- Applicants are required to seek additional financial support from their departments and colleges and to indicate the level, source, and status of this funding clearly on the application. No application will be considered without information concerning other UI funding sought or awarded. Applicants are also encouraged to seek funds from sources external to the university.
- Attendance at conferences, exhibitions, concerts, or other events without direct and active involvement will normally not warrant funding.
- Only one application may be submitted per funding cycle. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered but may be resubmitted in a subsequent month, assuming all other eligibility criteria (above) are met.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have not recently received an International Travel Award.
Terms of Award
- International Travel Awards will typically range from $500 - $700 (although higher or lower amounts may be awarded in some instances) and can be paid as research and travel expenses only.
- Normally International Programs should notify applicants of awards by the beginning of the month following that in which the application is received (e.g., for applications received by January 1, notifications should be made by early February).
- Funds may be used only for the destination, purpose, and dates that appear in the award application.
- Funds awarded in a given fiscal year may be credited toward travel in the subsequent fiscal year but cannot normally be applied retroactively, that is, toward travel that occurred in a prior fiscal year. (For example, funding awarded in July 2013 may not be used for travel that occurred before that month.)
- Awards must be fully disbursed a) within 120 days following the date of return travel and b) in the fiscal year in which travel concludes.
- Funds will be disbursed upon receipt of a brief written report on the activities connected with the award—send to email@example.com.
Evaluation Criteria and Selection Process
Proposals for the International Programs International Travel Awards are reviewed considering the following criteria:
- Highest priority will be given to applicants seeking support for active involvement and meaningful participation in research projects or creative activities involving international topics. Examples include collaborative work with foreign colleagues in venues outside the U.S., or presentations at internationally-based conferences, exhibitions, and performances.
- Attendance at conferences without active participation will normally not warrant funding.
- In an effort to provide resources and opportunities leading to tenure, junior faculty may receive higher levels of funding than other applicants.
- To reward service to International Programs, faculty and staff who are actively involved in our programs and curriculum may receive higher levels of funding.
Complete the online application no later than 5 p.m. on the deadline date.
For questions regarding International Travel Awards please contact:
Director of Academic Programs
1111 University Capitol Centre