Celebrating international education
This article also appeared in Iowa Now
The University of Iowa will celebrate the benefits of international education and exchange worldwide by recognizing International Education Week 2012 through several events and activities on the UI campus. A joint initiative of the U.S. Departments of State and Education, International Education Week was first held in 2000 and today is celebrated in more than 100 countries worldwide.
The annual “Show Us the World through Your Eyes” photo contest and “Coming to America” essay contest have become important traditions in the UI’s International Education Week celebration. This year, in addition to those two competitions, a study abroad video contest was held via YouTube, allowing students to upload their own videos from studying abroad.
To see the contest winners and all student entries, as well as the full schedule of International Education Week activities, visit http://international.uiowa.edu/community-programs/international-education-week.
The following events are free and open to the public:
- OASIS Cultural Ball 2012-Global Victories in Ending Modern Slavery: Saturday, Nov. 10, 2012, 7:30-10 p.m. in the IMU Second Floor Ballroom. Features salsa and swing dancing lessons as well as performances by several dance groups.
- Adopt-A-Language Fair: Monday, Nov. 12, 3-5 p.m. in 1117 University Capitol Centre. Explore language opportunities at the UI during this fun, interactive event.
- Teaching Opportunities in the Peace Corps: Monday, Nov. 12, 7-8:15 p.m. in 1117 University Capitol Centre. Listen to past volunteers’ stories and learn about teaching opportunities in the Peace Corps.
- Stanley Awards Information Workshop: Tuesday, Nov. 13, 12:30-1:30 p.m. in 1117 University Capitol Centre. Learn about the undergraduate and graduate Stanley Awards for International Research.
- “Crossing Borders” Study Abroad film screening: Tuesday, November 13, 5-7 p.m. in E105 Adler Journalism Building. This documentary follows four Moroccan and four American students as they travel together through Morocco.
- Speakeasy with Stanley Recipients: Tuesday, Nov. 13, 7-9 p.m. at The Sanctuary, 405 S. Gilbert St., Iowa City. Past grantees of the Stanley Awards for International Research will read from their work.
These events are sponsored by International Programs, the Organization for the Active Support of International Students, Students Abolishing Slavery, the Asian American Coalition, UI Peace Corps, the Nonfiction Writing Program in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS), and the Division of World Languages, Literatures and Cultures in CLAS. The film screening is made possible through Crossing Borders Education in partnership with Michigan State University.
For more information or special accommodations to attend any of these events, contact Joan Kjaer in UI International Programs at 319-335-2026 or firstname.lastname@example.org.